Stora Skuggan Hexensalbe
Stora Skuggan Hexensalbe
“In rifleing the closet of the ladie, they found a pipe of oyntement, wherewith she greased a staffe, upon which she ambled and galloped through thick and thin, when and in what manner she listed”
– Proceedings Against Dame Alice Kyteler, Prosecuted for Sorcery, 1324
Hexensalbe, also known as witches’ flying ointment, was a hallucinogenic salve used in witchcraft in the middle ages. It was a mixture of extremely poisonous ingredients.
The drug produced an ecstatic trance with powerful sensations of flying, images of otherworldly creatures and a primal sexual hunger. These hallucinations are at the core of the mythology of witches, where they fly to the sabbath at Blåkulla or Brocken to do it with the devil and other witches in unholy rites.
So, the image of witches flying can be traced back to the use of hexensalbe, but why on a broomstick? The ointment was so poisonous that eating it would be directly fatal, instead it was applied to other soft membranes of the body, armpits and more commonly the genitals. Because of the erotic effects of the high, the salve would often be rubbed directly onto a phallic object like the end of a staff or a broomstick. And so, the witch did not ride the broomstick like we picture her today. She actually -really- rode it.
Given which aspects of the story of hexensalbe has survived into the modern image of witches, and what has been suppressed, it would seem that the one thing more terrifying than witches or devils, is female sexuality.
This perfume is unisex.
Top Notes: Wormdoow, Salty Licorice
Middle Notes: Tuberose, Rosemary, Angelica, Belladonna
Base Notes: Black Hemlock, Lichen, Patchouli
About Stora Skuggan
About Stora Skuggan
Due to shipping regulations we only ship perfumes within Norway.
We offer various delivery options depending on your location:
- Collect in-store: all orders can be collected from our Oslo store for free. Depending what time your order is placed, it will be ready for collection the same or following day. Orders can be collected Monday-Sunday.
- Oslo area: choose from standard delivery with Bring or same day, next or nominated day delivery with Porterbuddy. Prices will be calculated at checkout where you'll be shown all the options available for your location.
- Norway: we ship nationwide with Bring. Prices will be calculated at checkout where you'll be shown all the options available for your location.
All orders are sent directly from our store either the same or next day.
We hope you love your new purchase, but if something isn't right you can find the information about how to return it below.
Purchases made in-store can be returned within 14 days for an exchange or store credit. Sale items bought in-store are non-refundable.
For online customers in Norway, you can bring your return directly to Dapper Oslo, or email us for a return shipment label. 59NOK will be deducted from your refunded amount.
For international customers, you can email us for a shipment label to return your item(s) via DHL. 150 NOK will be deducted from your refund amount. Alternatively, you can return it to us through a shipping method of your choice - we recommend that you choose a trackable shipping method as we cannot be responsible for untracked returns not arriving.
All returned items must have all tags & packaging intact & be in their original resalable condition. We strongly advise you to check items thoroughly upon receipt before removing any attached tags, or disposing of any original packaging. Please notify us immediately by email if you receive any item which is defective, damaged or missing original tags/packaging.
Full online terms:
- New, unworn items which are in their original packaging with all original tags attached may be returned to Dapper Oslo within 14 days of receipt for refund or exchange (subject to stock availability).
- Refunds will be issued via original payment method within two weeks of our receipt of the item(s).
- Shoes returned without their original box and packaging cannot be accepted.
- The return of defective or damaged items will only be accepted if the item was defective or damaged upon receipt.
- Sale items purchased online are subject to our standard return policy.
- The cost of the return shipment will be deducted from your refunded amount.
- Fast shipping from Oslo
- In business since 2013
- Hello from Norway